Being a self-employed individual/professional or a solopreneur means that you are not covered by an employer for your Social Security System (SSS), Home Development Mutual Fund (Pag-IBIG), and Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth) contributions.

For individuals who have transitioned from employment where these contributions were automatically deducted from their salary, it is advisable to continue making these payments as self-employed individuals. If you’re starting your journey as a freelancer or online seller, it’s crucial to initiate these contributions. These financial safety nets can come in handy during unforeseen circumstances, such as economic downturns or health emergencies.

Moreover, by consistently contributing to SSS, Pag-IBIG, and PhilHealth, you ensure that you are entitled to benefits and coverage, not only for your current needs but also for future security, especially during retirement.

This first part of a three-part series focuses on how to independently register and make payments to the SSS.


How do I register for voluntary contributions?


If this is your first time making SSS contributions, start by completing an E-1 form to obtain your SSS number. You can access the form here.

If you were previously employed by a company that handled your SSS contributions, follow these steps:

  1. Download and fill out two copies of the Member’s Data Change Request form (SSS Form E-4), which you can find here.
  2. Select “Change of Membership Type to Self-Employed” and provide details about your profession, start date, and monthly income.
  3. Submit the completed forms along with a photocopy of your Unified Multi-Purpose ID (UMID) card. Bring the original UMID card with you. If you do not have a UMID card, you can access the application form here.


How do I determine the contribution amount?


For self-employed members, such as freelancers and online sellers, the SSS contribution rate is 11% of your declared monthly salary credit, which is based on the income you specified when completing forms E-1 or E-4.

Note that SSS contribution amounts are subject to change, so ensure that you are paying the latest and correct amount. You can find the updated contribution rates for 2021 here. It is advisable to check the SSS website or follow their announcements for any changes.


Where can I make SSS contributions?


You can make your SSS contributions at an SSS branch or through Real-Time Posting of Contributions (RTPC)-compliant collecting partners, both in the Philippines and abroad. Keep in mind that not all SSS branches have telling systems to accept payments.

Alternatively, you can opt for an SSS-accredited payment channel, which can be either a bank or non-bank. 

Some banks offering this service include:

  • Asia United Bank (AUB)
  • Bank of Commerce
  • Bank One Savings Bank
  • BPI (for account holders only)
  • First Isabela Cooperative Bank
  • Partner Rural Bank
  • Philippine Business Bank
  • PNB Savings Bank (for individually paying members only)
  • Rural Bank of Lanuza
  • United Coconut Planters Bank
  • Security Bank (for account holders only)
  • Union Bank of the Philippines
  • Wealth Development Bank, Inc.

Some banks offer auto-debit payments for SSS contributions for deposits:

  • BPI
  • Country Builders Bank
  • First Consolidated Bank
  • Metrobank
  • PNB
  • PSBank

Non-banks where you can pay for your SSS include:

  • Bayad Center and its authorized tie-ups
  • ECPay (except for 7-Eleven branches) 
  • SM Bills Payment counters at The SM Store, SM Supermarket, SM Hypermarket, and Savemore branches

To ensure successful payment, you need a Payment Reference Number (PRN), which you can obtain on the My.SSS platform. The PRN ensures that your payments are accurately credited to your account in real-time.


To obtain your PRN, follow these simple steps:


  1. Log in to the SSS portal and click on “Payment Reference Number.”
  2. Select “Generate PRN” and specify “Voluntary” under Membership Type.
  3. Set the applicable period and contribution amount.

Download and print your PRN and Statement of Account to present to the bank or non-bank payment channel. If printing is not feasible, a screenshot of your PRN on your mobile device is acceptable.


Various online payment options are also available:


You can do these through

  • The SSS mobile app
  • BancNet Online
  • UnionBank Online
  • Security Bank Online
  • GCash, and other platforms.


Ensure you have obtained your PRN before initiating online payments, as it is a mandatory requirement.


What is the deadline for SSS payments?


It is vital to make timely SSS contributions since retroactive or back payments are not accepted. Missed payments cannot be compensated, resulting in reduced savings in your SSS account. The due date for contributions can be found in your Statement of Account, which accompanies your PRN. If the due date falls on a weekend or a holiday, you can make the payment on the next working day.

Freelancers or solopreneurs may choose to make monthly or quarterly payments based on their Statement of Accounts.

It is essential to stay updated on the deadlines for contribution payments, as the SSS periodically revises them. You can follow the SSS Facebook page and configure your settings to prioritize their posts in your news feed.


Deadlines for voluntary, self-employed SSS members are determined by the last digit of their SSS number:


1 or 2 Payment is due on the 10th day of the month following the applicable month or quarter.
3 or 4 Payment is due on the 15th day of the month following the applicable month or quarter.
5 or 6 Payment is due on the 20th day of the month following the applicable month or quarter.
7 or 8 Payment is due on the 25th day of the month following the applicable month or quarter.
9 or 0 Payment is due on the last day of the month following the applicable month or quarter.


For example, if your SSS number ends in 1, your July payment is due on August 10. If you are making a payment for the third quarter of the year (July to September), the deadline is October 10.


How long should I continue paying SSS contributions?


SSS contributions cease when you apply for your final benefit claim, which could be for total disability or retirement. At the age of 60 and without employment, you can apply for optional retirement. When you reach 65, you can apply for technical retirement, whether you are working or not.


As a voluntary SSS member, you can choose to continue making contributions until you reach the age of 65, enhancing your retirement benefits with at least 120 monthly contributions. If you are over 65 and have less than 120 monthly contributions, you can continue paying until you meet the minimum requirement for a monthly retirement pension.